In 1994, Bottega University (BU) was founded under its original name, Andrew Jackson University (AJU). The vision for AJU originated with Robert McKim Norris, Jr., and D. Michael Barrett, both graduates of the Cumberland School of Law and colleagues at a Birmingham, Alabama, law firm. After completing his law degree, Norris embarked on an intense program of self-directed study. He compiled a personal library of thousands of books, videotapes, and audiotapes, and he concluded that he gained more education through ongoing, independent learning than he ever learned in formal classroom experiences. Norris and Barrett founded a university together and named it after U.S. President Andrew Jackson to symbolize their belief that any determined individuals can succeed in life, despite adversity. Andrew Jackson University was founded as a not for profit.
UniversityNow, Inc. acquired the school in December 2010 and officially changed its name to New Charter University in early 2011. UniversityNow’s funding to relaunch the university came from investors including Kapor Capital, University Ventures, Novak Biddle Venture Partners, Charles River Ventures, Greylock Partners, SV Angel, Floodgate and 500 Startups. As part of the transition, the university also relocated its headquarters to San Francisco, California. In June 2012, New Charter University was awarded a grant from The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, through its Next Generation Learning Challenges organization, to fund research into innovative delivery models in higher education that have the potential to generate high student outcomes at an affordable cost.
In 2015, the school was acquired by Global Heritage Education. As part of the transition, the university also relocated its headquarters to Salt Lake City, Utah and changed its motto to “A University designed for you”. GHE was founded by a group of educators, entrepreneurs, and business executives who are passionate about learning. Members of GHE have successfully established universities, colleges, and schools worldwide, including the United States, Malaysia, China, and Australia. GHE believed individuals can improve their lives through education. BU is carrying out this mission by offering flexible, supportive, and affordable online education to students from around the world.
In 2019, Bottega, LLC acquired New Charter University. Bottega is a Salt Lake City, Utah, corporation/training institution. Bottega’s best-in-class curriculum delivers programs backed by The American Council on Education (ACE). This accreditation recommends college credit is awarded for Bottega courses at many universities.
The Commission of the Distance Education Accrediting Commission approved the name change to Bottega University in the June 2020 Commission meeting.
Our mission is to leverage advances in innovative technologies and educational models to provide high-quality, flexible, and affordable distance education programs so students can attain recognized degrees that advance their careers and improve their lives.
This includes employing:
- Outcomes-based education in which course length is measured by demonstrated achievement of learning outcomes through carefully crafted objective and performance assessments;
- Technology-assisted learning environments, where students learn at their own pace and according to their personal learning style;
- Peer-to-peer learning communities in which students share their knowledge and skills and help each other obtain recognized degrees and credentials;
- Pedagogical models in which the faculty serve as mentors and coaches as well as subject matter experts;
- Evaluation systems that measure student achievement solely on whether students meet standards that are rigorous, clearly articulated, and recognized; and
- Affordable tuition models.
Bottega University aims to “chart” a new course to more freedom, flexibility, and financial stability without sacrificing work-life balance. Bottega University exists to provide a quality education that is accessible and of high value to an international audience. Bottega aims to be innovative and flexible in providing strategic, higher education programs that meet the needs of today’s workforce. In order to accomplish this, we will hold true to our core values, to:
- Value integrity and ethical behavior in all matters;
- Value improvement, continuous assessment of credential and degree programs to meet global needs, professional, and personal growth;
- Value quality distance education and learning;
- Value growth and development of all learners and those facilitating the experience and to achieve their full academic, professional, and societal potential;
- Offer the highest quality, most affordable education possible;
- Create an engaging and intellectually stimulating culture through a professional and supportive work environment;
- Approach challenges with humility and perseverance;
- Embrace change fearlessly and drive innovation both administratively and technologically while valuing cost effective growth and return on investment;
- Operate with integrity and openness through a collegial and interactive process in planning and decision making;
- Value diversity, equality, and service.
If you are having difficulty getting into Canvas and you are using Google Chrome, please add the Canvas LMS home page as a website to allow for cookies in the Google Chrome browser advanced settings and restart Google Chrome.